Kathy Klausmeier, believes that listening to people is where good government begins.
Long before she was elected to the Maryland House of Delegates in 1994, Kathy was a leading community activist, working for better schools and better communities. Her community service was honored by the State of Maryland and Baltimore County, with Resolutions, attesting to her outstanding job as PTA president of Gunpowder Elementary School. The Maryland PTA Association made Kathy an Honorary Life Member.
During her 8 years as State Delegate, Kathy has compiled an outstanding record of sponsorship of bills, which are now Maryland law. These include proposals to:
- Establish an independent process for people to appeal HMO denials of medical coverage.
- Expand Victims’ rights to give victims and their families a stronger voice in the criminal justice system.
- Increase State aid to public libraries, community colleges and the Maryland School for the Blind.
- Establish the Senior Prescription Drug Relief Act to make prescription drugs more affordable for Medicare recipients.
- Raise the quality of nursing home care with better staffing, stronger oversight and increased unannounced inspections.
- Create a Task Force to Study the Economic Development of the Maryland Seafood and Agriculture Industries.
- Sponsored the bill to designate Route 43 as the Korean War Veterans Memorial to honor those who fought in the Korean War.
Kathy, a seasoned legislator, never stops working for you. When she is not crafting legislation, she is attending committee meetings at one of the many panels on which she serves, or she is working to resolve a constituent’s problem. Kathy believes in hard work. But most of all, Kathy believes it is her job to listen and take whatever immediate action is possible to solve one of her people’s problems.
In a busy and productive life, Kathy is a legislator, wife, mother, and community activist. Indeed, she has never stopped begin a community activist. “People have always been, and will continue to be, my first priority.”
Kathy has earned your trust. She has earned your vote!
“As your State Senator, I will continue to serve you with dedication, energy and a commitment to the community. together, we can continue the work we began 8 years ago. Together, we can take even greater strides toward our mutual goal of better schools, better communities and a better quality of life for everyone.”